It is with heavy hearts that we, friends of Eugene Burger, inform you that Eugene has passed away in Chicago at the age of 78.
Eugene enjoyed a long, healthy life, but was very recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. Even so, his death today came more quickly than expected, and we are deeply shocked and saddened by his loss.
We know that in the days, weeks, and months ahead, countless things will be written and said about Eugene, and we will share more information, too. But for now we want to tell you that Eugene embraced his situation with great clarity, humor, and peace of mind. As he said one day, “Now I am on the way to the ultimate capital M Mystery of life.”
Please join us in remembering and celebrating Eugene, a rare and wonderful person who has meant so much to us and to magicians all over the world.
- “Chicago’s Best Magician”
– Chicago Magazine, Best of Chicago Issue
- Dean, McBride’s Magic & Mystery School, Las Vegas, NV
- Recipient, Performing Fellowship, The Magic Castle, Hollywood, California
- Two-time Recipient, Close-Up Magician of the Year, The Magic Castle, Hollywood, California
- Two-time Recipient, Lecturer of the Year, The Magic Castle, Hollywood, California
- “Eugene Burger is one of the most respected names in close-up magic today.”
– Chicago Tribune
- “One of Chicago’s best loved magicians.”
– Crain’s Chicago Business
- “Eugene Burger is perhaps the most eminent Chicago magician.”
– New City
- Merlin Award, Close-Up Magician of the Year, 2010, International Magicians Society
- “One of the 100 most influential magicians of the 20th century.”
– MAGIC Magazine
- “Burger’s magic is simply jaw-dropping.”
– L. A. Weekly
- “For decades Eugene Burger has been recognized by magicians and the public as one of the finest
and most engaging magicians alive.”– Genii Magazine
- 2012 FISM (International Federation of Magical Societies) Special Award for Theory and Philosophy